I have moved this blog. I renamed the blog "the Homeschoo House" and we have moved to our own domain. To visit us just click the icon below.



Featured Articles

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My plan for using Teaching the Classics

I am using "Teaching the Classics" this year with my second and fourth graders. I am really excited about this program. It's not a curriculum per se, but rather an outline for the teacher on how to teach your students to analyze and dissect any literary work. I have been watching the videos and reading the manual for about a week now. I think I'm ready to start our first book and discussion. Here are my plans:

week 1

Read "Where the Wild Things Are" and use the Socratic method to analyze Setting

Read "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" and use the Socratic method to analyze Conflict and Plot

I am also going to introduce them to a couple literary devices such as alliteration, Imagery, Smilies and Personification. We will find examples of these literary devices in the reading and start learning to recognize them in future books and poems.


week 2

Read "Brave Irene" and use the Socratic method to analyze Characters

Read "Horton Hears a Who" and use the Socratic method to analyze Theme

Depending on how all of this goes we will either keep practicing on these elements seperately (setting, conflict, plot, characters, theme) using a selected reading to study each one, or we will move on to reading a longer book and looking at all 5 elements in that one book.

I have a plan. Now let's see how it works!! Will report on our results soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Homeschooling with two Copyright © 2009